St. Brendan’s Boys National School is situated in a splendid setting at Mount Pleasant overlooking Loughrea Lake. The present building was constructed in 1968 and is well set out with spacious grounds and pitches. The school was under the De La Salle Brothers until their withdrawal in 1987.
The purpose built school facility comprises of eight spacious classrooms, staff-room, office, remedial and reception room.
The original boys’ school in the town was at Cabbage Lane opposite the Carmelite Abbey gates and it closed in 1905. The pupils transferred to the newly built St. Brendan’s in Piggott St in that year and schooling continued there until its closure in 1968.